Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chief Justice Puno Denies Report of Early Retirement


Early retirement? Who? Me? Chief Justice Reynato Puno denies reports he's retiring early

Chief Justice Reynato Puno denies reports that he is going to retire earlier than 2010 due to allegations of his Court being controlled by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

An online magazine reported that Puno allegedly talked to some of his confidants about his plans of retiring early.

But the Chief Justice completely denies the said report and issued a statement which I'm quoting, in toto, below. The Supreme Court Public Information Office released the herein under quoted statement after consulting with the Chief.

April 17, 2008


STATEMENT OF CHIEF JUSTICE REYNATO S. PUNO


I am denying the rumors and speculations that I will retire from the position of Chief Justice before May 17, 2010, when I will reach the constitutionally mandated retirement age of 70. The office of Chief Justice is a trust given by the people, and I will fulfill the trust until the end of my term by continuing to discharge my duties with independence and fairness. I was appointed Chief Justice on December 7, 2006 without any political conditions. I remain steadfast in my belief that the Supreme Court
will continue to be the defender of the Rule of Law and the protector of our people’s rights.


Supreme Court of the Philippines
Manila

No comments: